Thursday, November 8, 2007

Net-worked-up


I thought this was it...but then my friends and my close cousin made me find another new networking site 'Facebook'. Though I might be outdated in getting to terms with the new addictive trends seeing how my younger cousins have taken a lead over me, but then is there an end to the number of SNS's as they are called. My first impression of the entire front-end was....it’s too complicated but I am still being pushed to see through the outer shell to experience a whole new innovation which is attracting the world. I am still far from using it and will see how I like it in due course.

Sometime in my first year of MBA, I joined Orkut and Linked-In. Again I was a laggard in knowing what these were and how they worked. But my experiences with both have been great. Atleast I do not forget birthdates of my close friends not to forget how many old friends I have regained touch with. I feel amazed at the number of people from the smallest towns of the country on Orkut. But as I see and hear there appears to be a transition happening from orkut to facebook. My reasoning says that as many offices and colleges do not know about facebook vis-à-vis Orkut, people still have the freedom to use a similar platform to do things which company/college authorities feel otherwise. At the same time I think it is very important to have the right kind of people joining to enjoy the real offerings of the site. Another reason why other SNS's such as Hi5 & ryze never took off in India that much. Infact one of my seniors from college has started a concept of offline meetings of like minded people which I am sure would be a lot of fun. Though I have never attended one of them, I plan to in future.

But I feel there a lot of crap existing on many of these SNS's which is irritating as shared my many of my female friends. Many people who are +30 also share the feeling that the old ways of picking the telephone and connecting is any day better than these new amusing ways which have no utility. But this is changing as I see when I go around Linked-in. With the mélange of interfaces available one can balance utility with idle time pass. The recent valuation of Facebook which is now worth $15BN - judging from the fact that Microsoft has reportedly just bought itself a modest 1.6% chunk of the company for a staggering $240M goes to show the importance of the these sites as revenue source from ads beamed at around 48 mn users which facebook alone commands.

But I am sure I would come across many more such SNS’s in the future. Just a month back I came across Shelfari which I have “again” joined but never used and so has been Myspace which inspite of being touted s the #1 SNS is unheard in India. But as of now I am keen on exploring more of facebook...Hope to see u there soon..I

No comments: